CAPAA Welcomes Fellows
CAPAA is pleased to announce Bronson Purcell and Seungkyul Joseph Park as the Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs and Asian Pacific Islander Community Leadership Foundation 2016 Fellows.
Legislative Update for the Week of 1/25
Asian Pacific American Legislative Day will take place on January 26. This year, a statewide delegation of leaders will be meeting with Governor Inslee and state legislators to discuss issues impacting Asian Pacific American communities.
January 26 is also India’s Republic Day, a day that celebrates the establishment of the Constitution of India. The Commission would like to take this time to recognize Indian Americans who have contributed greatly to the rich makeup of Washington state.
The Commission would like to highlight the following public hearings that may be of interest to the community:
The House Education Committee will hold a public hearing to discuss the shortage of public school teachers and substitute teachers. The House Higher Education Committee will have a hearing to discuss the College Bound scholarship program and expanding higher education opportunities.
The Senate Early Learning & K-12 Education will hold a public hearing to discuss mental health and well-being of students as well as strategies to prevent youth suicide.
January 25, 2016:
- HB 2573: Concerning the shortage of public school teachers and substitute teachers.
January 27, 2016:
- HB 2801: Expanding higher education opportunities for certain students.
January 28, 2016:
- SB 6243: Concerning a training program for educators and parents to develop students’ social and emotional skills to help prevent youth suicide.
- SB 6432: Making provisions to evaluate student mental health services and provide students with mental health and well-being and increase academic performance.
Health and Human Services
The Legislature found that Washington’s suicide rate is 14% higher than the national average. The House Judiciary Committee will have a hearing to discuss suicide awareness and prevention education as well as methods to reduce intergenerational poverty.
January 26, 2016:
- HB 2793: Providing for suicide awareness and prevention education for safer homes.
January 27, 2016: