In 2000, the Washington State Legislature declared the month of May as Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. APA Heritage Month is a time to recognize and celebrate the diverse cultures of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the state of Washington. Public entities are encouraged to designate time for activities commemorating the lives, history, achievements, and contributions of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
Local Celebrations in Washington
Throughout the month of May, various organizations across the state of Washington hold events to celebrate the culture and achievements of Asian Pacific Americans. Click the link below to view a calendar of events during APA Heritage Month.
APA Heritage Month Resources
Heritage Resource Guide
The APA Heritage Resource Guide is intended to help you develop and integrate Asian Pacific American (APA) history into curriculum and teaching strategies. This guide offers an overview and history of Asian Pacific Americans in Washington State. It offers ways to understand themes around migration, labor, community development, political empowerment, identity, citizenship, and cultural similarities and differences. With specific activities and recommendations to effectively help students understand such issues at all grade levels, the guide recommends select videos and resources for the classroom.
How to Celebrate API Heritage Month at Your School or Organization
- Discuss Asian Pacific American history in class
- Create a school display with traditional clothes, cultural artifacts, and other heritage objects
- Hold a school assembly celebrating APA Heritage Month featuring cultural showcases
Public and Private Organizations:
Celebrating ethnic heritage months will demonstrate your commitment to diversity, enabling you to effectively address the needs of rapidly growing API communities.
- Recognize API Heritage Month via social media, website, or newsletter
- Create a display in your office featuring APA Heritage Month celebration posters, cultural artifacts, and API community newspapers
- Host gatherings featuring APA speakers to better understand your Asian Pacific American constituents